Sunday, July 11, 2010

not looking a gift horse in the mouth

So, we're getting WIC (coupons for free food for women, infants and children). For a family of three, we're getting 5 and a half gallons of milk a month. That's insane! Do people really consume that much milk? I wish that we could up the amount of veggies we get (only $10 worth) and forgo some of the milk (and frozen juice and 6 cans of tuna a month too!), but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Instead, I decided it was finally time to learn to make cheese.

So, here's my first attempt. I made ricotta and we had:

homemade pizza with tomato sauce (from last year's garden tomatoes), zucchini and crookneck squash, corn, spring onions, basil and fresh homemade ricotta.

We also had a lovely salad with garden lettuces, garden sugar snaps, spring carrots and cucumber.

No comments: