Wednesday, January 7, 2009

making beef en daube

our present to ourselves for the holidays this year was a beautiful robin's egg blue enameled casserole. i was dying to try a braised beef dish. having been intrigued by beef en daube, with its orange peel and bitter chocolate additions, it seemed just the thing to inaugurate our present.

the flavor is built up by searing cubes of beef, then using the bacon fat created from a few strips of bacon to saute onions. after those just begin to caramelize, add a couple spoonfuls of tomato paste, flour and smashed garlic cloves and toast those up.

a big glug of cognac never hurt anything. that's followed by a couple cups of wine or so. add in the bacon and seasonings and let it simmer for a few hours. later i added sliced carrots and parsnips and mushrooms that i'd pan-seared.


4 comments:

Phaedra Elizabeth said...

wow. that makes my lunch of miso soup and rice and spicy tuna triangles look really unsatisfying!

i hope as you do this, that i will learn more things to do in the kitchen, using your blog as a tutorial. I'll have to come back to this one. . . :)

briana linden said...

Yum, your lunch sounds good. I'm having red rice and greens and tofu.
I'll post more pictures of the beef en daube and the whole menu-- tom and doug were supposed to come over for dinner but were feeling under the weather so it's been postponed.

Tara said...

I can't wait to hear how it turned out! I am totally in love with your casserole!

tom said...

I swoon at the memory of the daube. As the lucky dinner guest, I also marveled as T&B whipped up some yummy truffle arancini without producing the hot oil smell that always comee when I fry...so much to learn.
Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!